n Wednesday I went to my local drugstore to take advantage of their 40% off cosmetics offer and stock up on my favourite Maybelline Hyperglossy Liquid Liner as I only have a couple of uses left in the tub, however, sadly, they had completely sold out. I couldn't just pass up the dicount offer, so I purchased the Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner instead. 

Before I get on with detailing my experience, you should probably know that the one and only gel liner I had previously tried had been the Rimmel Waterproof Gel Liner, and that turned out to be a complete disaster.  Even though that gel liner said waterproof on the container, I applied it, and literally by the time I got out the door it was transferred all over my top lid, and had faded disastrously, so warning if you want to try a gel liner do not go for the Rimmel one. 

My experience with the Rimmel liner had made me apprehensive to the whole concept of gel liners, however the Maybelline has had quite good reviews so I thought I'd give it a shot. 

My worst issue when it comes to eyeliners of any kind, is the fact that I do have oily eyelids, so most liquid liners do tend to smudge, and I cannot even go close to any type of khol, however, the Maybelline gel liner is advertised as both Waterproof and Smudgeproof, so I had big hopes for a miracle. Yeah, the miracle didn't happen, but it definitely wasn't as bad as the Rimmel. I will have an in depth review of the Maybelline Eye Studio Lasting Drama Gel Eyeliner up on my blog soon. 

All the smudging and complete lack of lasting power disappointed me, however I thought i'd give it a second chance and try and find a way to control my oily lids and set the gel liner so as to improve the lasting power, and so I did. 



If you have oily lids, the trick I am about to teach you will be a life saver. It definitely has been for me! So, here it is. How to make your gel liner last, or just how to generally keep your oily lids under control. 



Step 1
For the first step, you will have to get your hands on a translucent setting powder. I use the Rimmel Stay Matte Translucent Powder. Isn't it funny how cosmetic brands can get certain products so right and others so completely wrong? Anyway, once you have a translucent powder, you will want to apply the powder all over the lid and up through the crease to the browbone. Make sure there are no other products, such as foundation or concealer on your eyelids though. The setting powder will absorb any moisture from your eyelids that may have prevented the gel liner from setting properly and will also provide a matte base. 





Step 2
After you have applied the setting powder, apply your favourite eyeshadow primer over it. You don't need to use any eyeshadow on top of it, the primer will just provide a good base for the eye liner to adhere and set upon, preventing any unnecessary smudging. I used the Face Of Australia Matte Eyeshadow primer, however any will do. Check out my post about the best budget base and primer found at the drugstore. After you 



Step 3
Apply the eyeliner. Winged, Subtle, Dramatic, however you want it.

Step 4
After you have applied your gel liner, bring back the translucent powder, and set everything with it. Apply the powder all over the lid again, to set the primer, as well as over the liner. As the powder is translucent, it should not alter the colour of your liner. The Stay Matte did wash out the black a little, however not enough to bother me at all. Make sure you apply powder just over your crease, the area where the liner would normally transfer, and anywhere else you know may get oily. I just recommend powdering the whole area. 

Voila! And there you have a way to keep you gel liner on all day. I applied mine this morning at 6:30 before I went to university, which also meant loads of walking around in the humid Australian heat and its still holding up perfectly 9 hours later as you can see in the photo below. I do have to say, compared to yesterday, when the liner started smudging after two hours and turning into what looked more like a smokey eye than eyeliner by the time I had gotten home at 4pm, this trick has presented a radical change in the liners lasting power once the lids are powdered and primed. 


 Let me know if you try this trick out and if it works out for you in the comment section below! 


HOW TO STOP GEL LINER FROM TRANSFERRING AND SMUDGING ON OILY LIDS | TIPS AND TRICKS

Posted on

Friday, 14 March 2014

Category

Leave a Reply