So first things first. I got into uni! and if you're reading this I assume you have too! YAY University, to me, seems to be a very demanding but also fun environment. The most notable difference between high school and university seems to be that while in high school I could get away with being quite (very) disorganised, this won't be possible in university.

With that in mind I am going to talk to you about some recent purchases targeted specifically to keep me as organised as possible and what I also feel to be the essentials for getting the most out of your time in university while keeping it minimal and light on your back.




PLANNER/AGENDA

Okay so I have to admit I have never been one for much planning and I have never been able to maintain using a planner but that may just be because I have never really needed to, or more so because I am quite lazy. This year however I feel it will become a necessity between keeping up with due dates, engagements and other duties. An organised student is a successful student. (if only I took my own advice)

Use your planner the way that works best for you! Colour code, use post its, tabs, highlight and turn it into a little snippet of you. The only thing you should truly do is persevere, and try to jot down information as soon as you are made aware of it as this eliminates room for error or surprise papers due the next day.


LAPTOP/BOOKS
I do believe that as a student you get a choice of whether you work best with a laptop or actual physical writing books. Generally I do work best with hand written material however I do believe that a laptop will be much more convenient to use.













For quite a while I was unsure as to whether I wanted to purchase the Apple MacBook Air or the MacBook Pro, however after seeing that the new line of Pro's are designed without a CD slot, which was the only advantage to the Pro that was making me consider it over the Air, I decided upon the Apple 13' Macbook Air, and I could not have made a better decision. The Air is, as the name suggests is very light, weighing an astounding 1.35 kg (2.96 pounds) and it is also extremely thin with 1.7 cm (0.68 inch) at its thickest point with 12 hours of web browsing battery life. This makes it perfect for university. I don't  want a crushing weight on my shoulders and I am sure you don't either. It is very convenient for student use and in my eyes the perfect laptop. It may be a little expensive however, in my opinion it is definitely worth it.


Apple 13" MacBook Air can be purchased from Apple stores and Apple Certifies Retailers for $1,249 RRP AU

If laptops are not what you find to be the most convenient for you, books are a great way to organise your information too. To keep yourself organised you might want to colour code and use tabs for different subjects, or you can buy a multi subject notebook, however these may become inconvenient as you will find that you will need to lug around multiple 'books' when you only need to use one as they are all in one, so I would stick to separate books for each unit of study.

TEXTBOOKS
Textbooks are possibly the biggest hassle that students have to deal with as each textbook is big and heavy and hard to carry around and they are also extremely expensive. Lecturers may tell you that you have to buy the textbooks new from the university store because of new editions being released, however, the new editions usually only have words changed, or something like a chapter added to them. My advice is to research online and find older versions for cheaper prices. This could save you hundreds of dollars. If new chapters have been added you can always find someone who fell for the instructions that were given and ask to photocopy the missing chapter.

THE BAG









So, now all you need is a bag in which to carry it all. It took me quite a while to find my preferred bag but I did eventually and here it is. It fits my laptop nicely and is the perfect size for what I need. 
To be able to fit and carry everything in it you will need quite a spacious and sturdy bag as it needs to fit any textbooks that you may need and your laptop as well as your personal belongings. The bag that you purchase needs to fulfil your needs and be comfortable to carry. Different courses require different amounts of books so everyone may have different needs in regards to the size of their bag. Some textbooks are even available in digital format so that's where your laptop swoops in as your knight in shining armour. Like me, you may want to consider a water resistant material as you will be carrying the bag come rain or shine. If you will carry a lot of books daily then you might want to consider a backpack, however if you, like me have a lighter load to carry, a more lightweight bag will be the right choice for you. You may want to consider a bag with a separate compartment for you laptop, however, if like me are unable to find one that you are satisfied with, a case should do the trick in protecting you laptop. Lots of pockets inside the bag will prove very handy with keeping you organised so those are always a plus. You will see a lot of bags being used on campus from utilitarian backpacks, messenger bags, and large handbags to totes. What is important is that you choose a bag that meets your needs and is comfortable to carry. One that is a reflection of your style and personality is a perk, but not a need.

The Bag I have can be purchased from Colette by Colette Hayman for $54.95 AU.





Now all I have left to say is don't be scared. Don't be scared to say hi, don't be scared of meeting new people, having new experiences and making new memories. This is supposed to be the best time of our lives so lets make it so. I hope you'll all make the most of it! 





STARTING UNIVERSITY/COLLEGE | ESSENTIALS

Posted on

Sunday 2 February 2014

Category

2 Comments
  1. love your blog! just bookmarked it!

    would love you to give me some advice on my blog...im trying to make it as good as possible! :)

    www.stonefoxinterrupted.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love your blog,it's so special:)

    ReplyDelete